Sophia Antipolis, France – L’Escapadou announces Word Wizard 3.0 for iOS, an update to their award-winning educational app that lets kids experiment with word building and provides spelling practice. This update adds important features for both teachers and parents including user profiles and detailed spelling tests reports. So far, the app has sold more than 80K units including 17K units to U.S. schools. Word Wizard has won many accolades, and The New York Times has called it the “Speak ‘N Spell for the iPad Generation”.
Word Wizard 3.0 adds the following features, as requested by teachers and parents:
* User profiles and detailed quiz reports by user (with a feature to track progression and export by email)
* Numbers (so kids can now build numbers and the app reads them )
* “?” character
* Easy word list sharing (via email or url links)
* Word pronunciation customization (allows change to the pronunciation of tricky words like family names)
* Australian Voice
* Option to disable hints in quizzes
* Last version of the text to speech engine
* iPhone 5 support
Word Wizard is a unique app that lets kids hear the sounds of letters and words using a talking movable alphabet. Featuring advanced text to speech capabilities, the app can pronounce and spell check an unlimited number of original words and sentences created using the movable alphabet.
Word Wizard also allows for spelling practice with a list of more than 1,400 questions and answers. Teachers and parents can also add their own words or phrases to create any spelling tests.
Talking Movable Alphabet Activity Highlights:
* Spell checker highlights unrecognized words
* 2 American voices, 1 British voice and 1 Australian voice
* Read words automatically as they are built
* Reads all the words as a sentence on demand
* Phonics or letter names when a letter is touched in the alphabet
Spelling Tests Activity Highlights:
* 189 Word Lists of 10 words: Dolch Words, 1000 Most Frequently Used Words, Body Parts, Family Members, etc.
* Create custom spelling lists by entering custom words and sentences
* User Profiles and Detailed Reports
* Hints are available if kids do not know how to spell a word
* Once a quiz is completed, fun, interactive animations are available as a reward
Word Wizard has won many awards and recognitions including:
* “…Powerful language-learning tool that is ideal for a child learning to read” – New York Times
* Editor’s Choice Award for Excellence in Design from Children’s Technology Review
* “…A fantastic app for young children” – GeekDad Blog, Wired Magazine
*”…I love the talking alphabet…I will certainly recommend it to early educators.” Mary Ellin Logue, Ed.D, Early Childhood Education, University of Maine
* Featured by Apple as ‘New and Noteworthy’ for both the iPad and iPhone
“The overwhelmingly positive response we have received to version 2 of Word Wizard has been very encouraging and gratifying especially from teachers using the app in schools”. Pierre Abel said, “We are very thankful to all those parents and teachers who made such useful suggestions – many of which have been included here in version 3.”
* iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
* Requires iOS 4.3 or later
* Universal app optimized for display on all iOS devices
* 309 MB
Pricing and Availability:
Word Wizard 3.0 is only $2.99 (USD) and available worldwide exclusively through the App Store in the Education category. Review copies are available upon request.
L’Escapadou, founded in 2010, is an award-winning family design studio dedicated to creating educational apps for iPad and iPhone and has been recognized as “Editor’s Choice” by Moms With Apps. Montessori Crosswords, Montessori Numbers and Word Wizard, L’Escapadou’s top selling apps, have won the Children’s Technology Review Editor’s Choice Award for Excellence in Design. Pierre Abel holds a PhD in computer science and has extensively worked on user experience design. His wife, a translator currently busy homeschooling their daughters, helps in the design of the educational apps. Watching their kids – 6 and 9 years-old – learn and play is their main source of inspiration for the apps they create. Copyright (C) 2012 L’Escapadou. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone, iPod and iPad are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.