Hong Kong, Hong Kong – VCare Creation today is pleased to announce Math Ocean 1.1 for iOS, an update to their education app for kids, which provides practice in solving basic arithmetic and logic problems. Dory, a lovely girl dolphin, guides students through activities in oceans and on beaches, practicing subtraction, addition, matching, sorting, and completing patterns. Featuring colorful animation, interactive graphics, a talking dolphin, and playful music, the app has two levels of difficulty and conforms to CCSS standards.
Math Ocean Adheres to Common Core State Standards in the Following Domains:
* K.OA.1 – Mathematics – Kindergarten – Operations & Algebraic Thinking – Represent addition and subtraction with objects, fingers, mental images, drawings, sounds, acting out situations, verbal explanations, expressions, or equations (Math Ocean Addition/Subtraction Levels 1 & 2)
* K.OA.2 – Mathematics – Kindergarten – Operations & Algebraic Thinking – Solve addition and subtraction word problems, and add and subtract within 10, e.g., by using objects or drawings to represent the problem (Math Ocean Addition/Subtraction Level 2)
* K.OA.5 – Mathematics – Kindergarten – Operations & Algebraic Thinking – Fluently add and subtract within 5 (Math Ocean Addition/Subtraction Level 1)
* K.CC.7 – Mathematics – Kindergarten – Counting & Cardinality – Compare two numbers between 1 and 10 presented as written numerals (Math Ocean Sorting)
* K.G.4 – Mathematics – Kindergarten – Geometry – Analyze and compare 2D/3D shapes, in different sizes and orientations, using informal language to describe their similarities, differences, parts (e.g., number of sides and vertices/corners) and other attributes (Math Ocean Matching)
* K.G.6 – Mathematics – Kindergarten – Geometry – Compose simple shapes to form larger shapes (Math Ocean Matching)
Math Ocean operates in landscape orientation, and Dory, the pink animated dolphin, always appears on the far left of the screen. She reads aloud each question that is written at the top of the screen as an equation or word problem. At launch, kids can choose from five different educational activities, each in a different locale. For a greater challenge, users can touch Dory after answering a question, immediately moving to another location. In this way, users can either concentrate on a single skill, or practice all five skills one after another.
* Join Dory the Dolphin practicing basic math and logic skills
* Antarctic Ocean – Subtraction: Let the hopping penguins jump into sea and learn how to subtract
* Indian Ocean – Addition: Learn how to add as more fish arrive
* Pacific Ocean – Matching: Help repairing the broken submarine by putting on the windows in correct shape and color
* Beach – Sorting: Arrange the lovely creatures/toys in correct sequence
* Beach – Patterns: Complete the pattern in logical order with correct toys
* Most of the instrumental music recorded in this app is originally composed
* Level 1 includes addition/subtraction with numbers up to 5
* Level 2 includes addition/subtraction with numbers up to 10
* Hint button for addition and subtraction problems
Subtraction is set in the Antarctic Ocean, with hopping penguins demonstrating the operation of taking away and leaving a remainder. Addition practice takes place in the Indian Ocean, and colorful fish swim onto the screen and join the fish already present, illustrating the operation of adding on to an amount and creating a sum. The Pacific Ocean is the site for Matching, where a large submarine navigates onto the screen, and users must drag windows of the correct shape and color to repair those that are broken on the sub. Sorting numbered creatures and toys, by moving each to create the correct sequence, is done on a sandy beachfront. Last, completing a pattern occurs on a beach at the water’s edge, as kids are challenged to drag a toy to complete a logical pattern formed by five toys in a row.
Young children are not likely to become bored with Math Ocean, as there is a large library of problems and many bonus features. For example, completing a group of questions successfully lets kids choose a sticker for their collection. Children will also meet helpers like seahorses, penguins, goldfish, and Dory’s other friends. And they all have their little secrets, which users can discover. There are three, user-selectable levels of encouragement from Dory, plus a hint button.
“Math Ocean has been carefully developed by our team of engineers, designers, and educators to help kids experience the joy of learning,” commented Kit Yu Choy of VCare Creation. “Parents and teachers can be confident that the app meets CCSS standards.”
* iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
* Requires iOS 3.0 or later
* 23.1 MB
Pricing and Availability:
Math Ocean 1.1 is $1.99 (USD) and available worldwide exclusively through the App Store in the Education category. Review copies are available on request.
Based in Hong Kong, VCare Creation was founded by Vincent Choy in 2012. The company is a group of young and energetic professionals, who come from different backgrounds, including business administration, computer engineering, fashion design and mobile game design. They share the same belief that mobile devices are the best platform for children to learn skills and develop traits from playing and laughing. In addition, they are dedicated to producing high quality products in every aspect that can make their customers, children and parents highly satisfied. The name VCare (pronounced as we-care) was chosen because they care about how parents use mobile devices as better tools in helping kids learn and enhance interpersonal relationship. VCare is also derived from “vocare,” which is a Latin verb meaning call or summon. They believe they work together not only by our will, but also by the will of God. And we are working to answer the calling. Copyright (C) 2012 VCare Creation. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone, and iPod are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries. Other trademarks and registered trademarks may be the property of their respective owners.