Indianapolis, Indiana – Mapdiva today presents Ortelius 1.8, a major update of their map design software for Mac OS X. Ortelius is a vector-based cartography application that helps you create high-quality custom map graphics, plans, and scaled drawings. Ortelius offers a creative solution with superior quality graphics – perfect for reports, presentations, and publications. Ortelius helps you do more than just make maps – it help you communicate visually.
A picture is worth a thousand words and maps are powerfully effective means for communicating. However, until now, creating professional quality map graphics has just been too hard, too time consuming, or both. Ortelius solves this problem by automating many of the graphics tasks that are most common for mapping and most tedious for graphic design, such as automatic road junctions, smart sequence markers, and smooth style transitions. With Ortelius, draw directly with features such as roads, rivers, coastlines, buildings, symbols, and contours. Ortelius supports the rich attribute information behind map features typically associated with geographic information systems (GIS) data, enabling fast, intelligent labeling – one of the most difficult aspects of map-making.
What’s New in 1.8:
* 64-bit native
* Mac OS 10.8 “Mountain Lion” support, including full-screen viewing, resume, versions and autosave preferences
* Crisp Retina graphics
* Trackpad gestures support zooming
* Enhanced “Boolean” operations for combining vector objects
* Advanced Image Editing, including mask and crop with other vector shapes; adjust image scale and positioning; edit exposure, saturation, and image effects
* SVG 1.1 vector graphics import
* Various bug fixes and performance improvements
* Much, much more…
Notable Features Of Ortelius:
* Dozens of fully editable map templates
* Smooth vector graphics
* Automatic junctions and style transitions
* Direct intelligent labeling
* Hundreds of fully editable map styles and symbols
* WYSIWYG drawing and editing
* Layers and layer groups
* Scalable maps and plans
* 20 special drawing and cartography tools, including Linear Select(TM)
Ortelius is known for its expert “stacked” styles that let users combine effects, such as pattern and image fills; arrowed, tapered, and tagged strokes; gradients with transparencies; Core Image Filter effects; and several others. Mapdiva provides many helpful tutorials, complete documentation, and a free trial version on their website.
Pricing and Availability:
Ortelius software is designed as a dedicated map graphics program for Mac OS X. Ortelius Standard Edition is available for $99 (USD). A free trial download is available from their website.
Mapdiva is dedicated to making intuitive software so users can focus their creative energy on content and design. Founded in 2008 by Graham Cox and Jill Saligoe-Simmel, Mapdiva, LLC develops powerfully easy vector illustration software. Mapdiva, LLC has offices in Indianapolis, IN USA and Armidale, NSW Australia. Copyright (C) 2008-2013 Mapdiva, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo and Macintosh are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.