San Jose, California – First Light Design and Astronomy magazine announced a strategic partnership today. Content and up-to-date space and astronomy news from Astronomy magazine and Astronomy.com will now stream in a ticker within the Distant Suns Astronomy App for iOS devices. Distant Suns can be downloaded from the App Store.
“At Astronomy, we’re very excited to have this partnership with Distant Suns, the leading planetarium software program in the business,” said Dave Eicher, Editor of Astronomy magazine. “We know that our readers and viewers will value using Distant Suns App out under the stars night after night.”
“I am very thrilled about Distant Suns partnership with Astronomy magazine,” said Mike Smithwick, founder and president of First Light Design. “Over the next few months, I intend to link Distant Suns with additional content from the magazine and its website to enhance our users’ time out under the heavens.”
Distant Suns Astronomy Features include:
* View the stars from the Earth or out in the solar system
* Augmented Reality Viewing overlays the sky with the local landscape (iOS only)
* Current stars and solar systems being monitored by the SETI Institute’s Allan Telescope Array, as it listens for possible extraterrestrial civilizations (iOS only)
* What’s Up? Offers an overview of the evening’s sky
* GPS and Compass aware
* NASA’s Night Sky Network of local astronomical events (US iOS only)
* Over 300,000 planets, stars, galaxies, nebula and star clusters
* Interactive tour of the solar system
* And much more … see detailed features at the App Store
About Astronomy Magazine:
Astronomy magazine leads the astronomy hobby as the most popular publication of its kind in the world. It has been published for over 35 years. For more information visit Astronomy Magazine online.
* iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad
* Requires iOS 4.3 or later
* 63.3 MB
Pricing and Availability:
Distant Suns-Max 3.4.2 is $9.99 USD (or equivalent amount in other currencies) and available worldwide exclusively through the App Store in the Education category.
First Light Design, LLC, is a privately owned company. It first released Distant Suns for the Commodore Amiga in 1987, followed by versions for Macintosh and Windows. Recently, Distant Suns has partnered with NASA’s Night Sky Network and the Astronomical Society of the Pacific to include local, United States listings of astronomical events and activities in the App. It has also partnered with the SETI Institute to provide real-time monitoring of Allen Telescope Array extraterrestrial targets. First Light Design is a proud member of Moms With Apps, a collaborative group of family-friendly developers with family-friendly apps. Copyright (C) 1987-2013 First Light Design, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Distant Suns is a trademark of First Light Design, Inc. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone, iPod and iPad are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries. Other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.